My photo
Owner, "MAP Wellness" - a culinary nutrition and wellness company. Writer. Passionate cook, raw food chef, reiki practitioner, yoga teacher, and LIVE WELL educator. ​do yoga. enjoy good food. run. plant food. cook. savour wine. read books. buy good food. love. grow your energy. find peace. enjoy food. have passion. skip. eat food. do yoga. listen to jazz. have presence. be present. bike. read. see. hear. be. live. love.

Monday, February 20, 2012

Bullets, Butterflies & Italy

Meg Donkers.  Has a nice ring to it, huh?  Do you know her?  I do!  Intimately...

You see, "Meg Donkers" is a Dutch foreign exchange student, existing in character, and forever immortalized in print, as part of the fabulous new novel entitled "Bullets, Butterflies, & Italy" by author John Meyer.   


And since you are probably wondering, Meg is named after moi.  And Donkers?  Well that glorious surname comes courtesy my mother's family, whom immigrated to Canada back in 1953.  She and her six siblings traveled here from Holland via a massive vessel named "The Waterman", all bearing the Donkers name.  My Opa and Oma (who was 6 months pregnant at the time of the journey!) were the cutest and sweetest old couple there ever was, and the greatest grandfolk a gal could ever want (although, I couldn't understand a lick of what they said to me most of the time!).  I will be eternally grateful to them for making the trek to this great country, and allowing my mother all of the opportunities she was blessed with, making it possible for my parents to eventually find one another, and fall in deeply and madly in love...together creating the new "Pearson-Donkers" collective.  My family.

Anyway, back to the book.  You should read it.  And just how did I manage to finagle my family names into the published work?  Well you'll have to check out this video for the answer!  (John was a guest on my TV show to promote his novel, and we shot this post-visit)  Enjoy!



For more information on "Bullets, Butterflies and Italy, check out John's website:



No comments:

Post a Comment

I welcome your comments! Share away!